At the start of March, I spontaneously invented a challenge for myself: make one piano song a day, for the entire month.
The idea was to compose a short music piece using only the piano instrument in FL Studio. It didn't matter how short each piece was, as long as it was something new and unique.
I had a secondary goal to make the entire set 30 minutes long.
Long story short, I accomplished both goals! I created 31 tracks during March 2021, totaling over 30 minutes of music.
Check out how it all turned out below! I hope you enjoy! :D
I was able to collect some cool stats at the end of the challenge! I think it adds a neat context to the experience:
I spent 65 hours, 54 minutes composing the music, according to FL Studio. This means I spent an average of 2 hours, 7 minutes creating each song, or 14 hours, 53 minutes per week - that's like a part-time job!
The total length of the music is 30 minutes, 1 second. This means the average length is 58 seconds per song. The shortest is 38 seconds, and the longest is 1 minute, 39 seconds.
I wrote a total of 12650 notes, making for around 408 notes per song. This also means there's an average of 421.4 notes played per minute (thus, 7.02 per second). To compare, Für Elise has 1068 notes total, which is somewhere around 300 notes per minute). But hey, I'm certainly no Beethoven!
All 31 tracks! They have different tempos, so sizes don't match durations.
At the start, I had basically no clue how the challenge would turn out or how difficult it would be. But by the end I definitely learned a lot!
I've never done anything like this challenge. I don't consider myself much of a composer in general, with a general lack of experience with music theory and writing for real instruments. Although I did take piano lessons as a kid, composing is largely a different set of skills.
In the end, I was really surprised and proud of the results - I didn't know I was capable of creating the quality I achieved. Is there room for improvement? Yes, tons. But I surpassed my expectations at least, and that feels great. And of course, I simply am relieved to be done with the challenge.
This post lacked images, so here's just one of the project folder, nothing crazy.
My good friend Plygon really helped me get through the challenge.
The night before March started, I mentioned I was going to try making one song a day for the month, and to my surprise, Plygon immediately joined in! I didn't expect that at all! Having someone participate alongside me was really great; it meant I had someone to talk to and relate to during the challenge. Plus, I got to hear awesome music from a friend every day, which was motivating!
In the end, he also made it through the challenge with 31 awesome piano pieces. You can listen to his piano music here, on Bandcamp!
In general, I still feel like this project is complete in some ways. I want to come back to this when I have a bit more time and make something cool with it.
I had a few ideas, including a music video project. But it is even more ambitious than my last one, and I definitely have more important projects to work on first!
Also, some people have asked if I could learn to play the pieces on a real piano. With enough practice, all of the pieces are technically possible to play, but I'm currently not patient enough to put in that sort of time. I might record them being played on a real piano another way though!
I don't know, we'll see where it goes. For now, it's simply up on Bandcamp to listen to and to buy! :)
Alright, that's it for this post!
A quick status report: Right now I'm finishing up my 2021 Projects Video for YouTube, and continuing with the weekly Friday Mine Blocks Beta updates.
Have a great day!! 👏💦